VEGAN VENTURES: Start and Grow an Ethical Business
Featuring insights and expertise from 60+ owners of vegan-run businesses, including PR, marketing and business growth professionals. PaperbackVegan living is 'hot' right now. In just the past 12 months veganism has regularly hit the headlines – in a positive way.
With vegan food being served at the BAFTA Awards in the UK, a vegan cheese company getting a deal on the popular US TV show Shark Tank to Bill Gates investing in a company providing vegan alternatives to meat and Beyonce's plant-based food delivery service, the vegan lifestyle is starting to shed its image of bland, drab and unhealthy.
As an ethical vegan since 1996 and a longtime animal rights advocate, my mission is Vegan World Domination where animals are no longer exploited, abused, commodified or killed for human consumption. Ethical businesses play a key role in moving closer to this ideal. I want to be able to walk down high streets, go into shopping malls or the airport and for every business to be run on vegan principles – which includes treating people fairly and being as environmentally sustainable as possible.
For me, the question was: How could I, with my skills as a journalist, content creator and curator, interviewer and media coach/trainer launch my own business to help vegan business owners and entrepreneurs to start and grow their operations?
I knew there were a ton of general business books out there, many of them excellent for any small-business owner starting up. But there was nothing specifically for the owners of vegan-run businesses. While many of the challenges, advice, and strategies apply to any business, running an animal-free operation brings its own set of extra, specific challenges.
So, I wrote this book because I wanted to read it. And I figured others would find it useful too. I wanted to find out from vegan business owners and entrepreneurs themselves what their secrets of success were. How did they cope with the challenges of running an ethical business? What did they learn? How did they grow?
Thus began this book project. I conducted extensive, indepth interviews with more than 60 owners of vegan-run businesses in the US, Canada, UK, and Australia, along with vegan marketing, PR, and business growth professionals. Some are larger operations with high numbers of staff, while others are small businesses.
Among the interviewees whose insights are woven throughout the book are:
· Seth Tibbott, Tofurky
· Adrian Ling, Plamil Foods
· Joy Pierson and Bart Potenza, Candle Cafe, Candle Cafe West and Candle 79
· Tim Barford, Yaoh and VegFestUK
· T.K. Pillan, Veggie Grill
· Jane Velez-Mitchell, broadcast and multi-media journalist, JaneUnchained.com
· Victoria Moran, author and director of Main Street Vegan Academy
· Kezia Jauron, Evolotus PR
· JL Fields, vegan lifestyle coach and author
· Sharon Gannon, Jivamukti Yoga
· Karin Ridgers, Mad Promotions and VeggieVision TV
· Stephanie Redcross, Vegan Mainstream
· Jessica Bailey, The Cruelty Free Shop
· David Benzaquen, PlantBased Solutions
· Sugandh G. Agrawal, GUNAS
· Lee Coates, Ethical Investors and Cruelty Free Super
· Elizabeth Olsen, Olsenhaus
· Leigh-Chantelle, Viva La Vegan!
· Renia Pruchnicki, Truth Belts
· Ella Nemcova, The Regal Vegan
· Wally Fry, Fry's International
And many more.
Wherever you are on your journey – perhaps you have an idea to start a business, are in the early stages of development, or are in the throes of expanding your empire – you'll be educated and inspired by this book, which is, as far as I'm aware, the first book to focus specifically on vegan-run businesses, the particular challenges they face, and how they deal with them to succeed and grow.?
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
Featuring insights and advice from over 60 vegan business owners, entrepreneurs, marketing, PR and business growth professionals, among the numerous nuggets of wisdom in Vegan Ventures, you'll learn:
- How to figure out the purpose of your business and why it's so important
- How your mindset can sabotage your business success and what to do to ensure that
- How to get regular, positive media coverage for your products or services, no matter what your PR budget is
- Common branding mistakes and how to avoid them
- Social media 'Do's' and 'Don'ts'
- How much you should use the word 'vegan' in your branding or marketing