Spaghetti and Falafel Balls
Makes 2-3 servings
1 packet of Osem falafel mix prepared as per instructions on pack
1 large jar of crushed tomatoes/passata
1 glass red wine (or water)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 red chilli, chopped (or 1/2 tsp chilli flakes)
1/2 onion, peeled and chopped
2 large handfuls of mushrooms (any kind; I used shiitake and button)
2 tbsp black olives, drained and chopped
2 tbsp chargilled capsicum slices (from a jar, drained)
2 tsp caramelised onions (from a jar)
Fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup of walnuts
1/4 cup Lotus Savoury Yeast Flakes
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil.
- Meanwhile, in a large fry pan, shallow fry the falafel balls in some coconut oil for a few minutes, and then remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same fry pan, cook the onion, mushrooms and garlic for a few minutes until the juices from the mushrooms simmer off.
- Add to the pan the crushed tomatoes, falafel balls and other ingredients, and stir and simmer until the spaghetti is ready.
- Cook the spaghetti in the boiling water as per the packet instructions.
- Serve the spaghetti topped with the falafel balls and sauce, and garnished with fresh basil leaves and walnut ‘parmesan cheese’ (combine 1/4 cup walnuts, 1/4 cup savoury yeast and a dash of salt in a blender until a fine powder forms).