Makes 4 steaks
- 50ml Tamari sauce
- 20g Massel chicken stock powder
- 1 x bay leaf
- 25ml Tamari
- 260ml cold water
- 14.5g Savoury yeast flakes
- 1g ground sage
- 8g garlic powder
- 8g onion powder
- 188g Gluten flour
- 1g dried thyme leaves
- 6g smoked paprika
- 2g ground black pepper
- Fill a pot with water and add stock powder, tamari and bay leaves and bring to the boil
- Add all dry ingredients to a bowl and mix well
- Add water (must be cold) and tamari to dry ingredients and mix well
- Knead mixture for 5 minutes (the longer you knead the chewier your seitan will be)
- Cut Seitan into 4 pieces and flatten with your hands or potato masher
- Gently place in one pot
- Reduce heat to a simmer. NB. Don't let it boil or it will affect texture.
- Simmer for 50 minutes, turning steaks half way through cooking
- Remove steaks with slotted spoon and put in rack to cool.
- Pan fry steaks on each side until golden and serve with mashed potato, gravy and greens.
- Alternately you can freeze your steaks to use another time.