Creamy Potato and Pesto Soup
Makes 3-4 servings
3 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 small onion, peeled and chopped
1 tsp vegan margarine
4 cups (1 litre) vegetable broth/stock
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 cup Savoury Yeast Flakes
2 cups fresh Basil leaves
1/2 cup Pine nuts
Squeeze of lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, heat vegan margarine and saute onion and garlic for a few minutes.
- Add potatoes and cook for a few minutes more, then add vegetable broth and simmer until potatoes are soft.
- In a blender or food processor, combine basil, EVOO, nutritional yeast, pine nuts and lemon juice and blend until smooth.
- Blend the potato soup in batches until smooth and return to the pan.
- Stir the pesto into the potato soup, season with salt and pepper, and enjoy!
- It tastes even better the next day too, once the pesto flavours have spent more time infusing their green goodness.