Chickpea Omelettes recipe
These are a very quick and easy dish to make. In the photo the omelette is stuffed with kale, tomatoes and homemade cashew cheese, but all kinds of toppings are great on these omelettes, we often eat them with pickled gherkin slices and kale. For a filling meal serve with cooked grains, bread, chips or roasted vegetables.
1 cup chickpea flour (besan)
3 tablespoons savoury yeast flakes
1/2-1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cracked pepper
1 cup water
- Combine the chickpea flour, savoury yeast flakes, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl, breaking up any lumps. Add the water a little at a time, mixing to form a batter.
- Thoroughly brush or spray a frying pan with olive oil and heat on a medium-high setting. When the pan is hot, pour in half the batter (if it is thicker in the centre and thinner on the outsides you can use the back of a metal spoon to gently spread the batter out).
- Cook without disturbing until the edges are cooked through and there are bubbles in the middle. Gently flip over and cook for a further minute or two, until the other side is completely cooked. Place on a plate, keeping it warm in the oven if you wish.
- When the first omelette is out of the pan, quickly pour the other half of the batter in and cook in the same way.
- Put toppings on one half of each circle and flip the other side over the top.